Resolved: Central Van And Storage in Morgantown, West Virginia - Horrible Move

Resolved

Update by user Jul 19, 2018

I have the BBB involved right now.

Original review posted by user Jul 19, 2018

Problem:

On 10April2018 I contracted with Central Van & Storage, Inc. to move my apartment and 5 10x10 storage units to my new house. They damaged my brand new house and a humidifier. The move occurred on 22May2018. Central Van & Storage sent a crew to perform the move with a cargo leaking truck and it was raining that day (that's how the humidifier was destroyed). Then when they brought the first load from the apartment, they damaged and tore up the walls in my new house. I have proof. That same day Central Van and I went to the storage units to move those to the new house. The van was caught up on some overhead wires. The driver was told by Rich Harmon that he didn't care to rip them down. Needless to say, the power and other utilities were knocked out to the Mileground in Morgantown, WV and my storage units were not moved but rescheduled for over a week away. After some emails to Meri-Ellen Castellano with Central Van for claims purposes, Rich Harmon, the General Manager of Central Van, emailed me and said "we find it in our best interest to cut ties and we will not be completing the move on 30May2018. You will need to hire another mover." Just like that and I was told by Meri-Ellen that no damage claims would be paid, even though there was a contract during the time of the initial move. Central Van decided not to charge me for the first move debacle but that still doesn't excuse them of not fixing/repairing or replacing damaged items. There was a contract in place at the time of the move, Central Van (Rich Harmon) decided not to do certain things about that contract. I feel that everything should be fixed or replaced and it was his decision not to collect the money and to "cut ties". I'm due my repair/replacement money that I did file correctly and on time per the contract.

Desired Outcome:

I would like my walls repaired and my humidifier replaced or the money sent to me to have the repairs and replacement done at my leisure. In an email from Meri-Ellen it states that my claims totaled $700.00 from the move on 22May2018. Also, according to Central Van's rates, tariffs and fuel surcharges, they were going to charge me $986.96 for the move on 22May2018. "Central Van & Storage chose to not collect the monies due for the services rendered on 5/22/18 in an effort to offset the claims. Therefore, since the amount claimed is less than the charges due, we consider the move and claim paid in full and both issues CLOSED." - My desired outcome, I want my $700.00 in damage claims. There was a contract in place during the move. It isn't my fault or decision to "cut ties" and not to collect money from me. They still owe me.

Product or Service Mentioned: Central Van And Storage Long Distance Moving Service.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

Sound like you came out ahead. If they were going to charge you $986.96 for the move and didn't charge you for the move to cover your claim of $700.

in damages you came our $286.96 ahead. I guess you could pay them The $986 and then they could give you back $700 for the damages you claim. You don't get a free move and then have them pay you for damages.

They don't owe you a penny. Sounds like you might be the type of person that would come up with a bunch of hyped up claims to get out of paying for things in life.

So your precious humidifier was damaged by water leaking into the truck? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds, considering that humidifiers require contact with water to operate? You really need to come up with a more believable story if you are trying to get your move for free as I suspect ...